FCF Pro Interview: Aaron Kolk

 


TTB: Aaron, thank you for time to be interviewed. Could you tell us a little about yourself? 

Aaron: Yes, I am a husband, father, coach, and professional triathlete. I’m from Wilmington, NC. 2020 is my first year competing as a pro, or I guess I should say my first year with an elite license. I mainly raced 70.3’s with the goal of moving up to the full this year. Because my first planned professional race was cancelled I ended up doing a solo 140.6 for charity. I was able to raise almost $7,000 and finished in 8:42. I was formally a distance runner, competing for UNC-Wilmington in XC and track. An achilles surgery in 2015 started me cycling for fitness as rehab and gaining some fitness back and in 2017 I started competing in triathlon with IM 70.3 Raleigh.


TTB: What was your initial reaction when races started cancelling in 2020? 

Aaron: My immediate reaction when races were cancelled was just keep on trucking. As a first year pro I knew it was going to be a few years until I was placing in major IM and 70.3 races, I was already planning on using this year to develop. After a few weeks of letting training be less specific I got the idea of doing a full solo, and my wife was supposed to be going on a medical mission trip to Rwanda, but that was cancelled as well. We decided to combine our passions and I raced for the people over Rwanda to help build a health clinic. 


TTB: Once the dust settled and it appeared that there wouldn't be professional races this year, what was your path forward for your training? 

Aaron: Still with no major races on the schedule I am trying to do fun things that will help me develop into the athlete I’d like to be. For me training is not only about racing, but something that helps keep me centered and provide mental clarity. Training has brought me out of some hard times and given me perspective on situations that I would never have if I did not do endurance sport. 


TTB: What inspired you to sign up for the Fall Creek Falls Half Iron, and what is your goal for the race?

Aaron: I am a full time endurance coach and one of my clients actually sent me the race. I signed up immediately. I love racing and any chance I get I jump on it. Even though I’m not specifically trained for the event, my fitness is bigger than its ever been so I hope to be able to give it a good go. 


TTB: What are your plans for the rest of 2020? Endurance Sports Management (ESM) is holding halves on Sept. 13 in Scottsboro, AL (Goose Pond Island) and on Oct. 3 in Lenoir City, TN (Atomic Man Triathlon). Do you plan on racing those? 

Aaron: I was actually unaware these other races were happening. They are good possibilities ill join in them as well. 


TTB: Is there anything else you would like us to know?

Aaron: I’d love to say thank you to my family for allowing me to train and take time away from the family in order to go after my passion. Also, Without Limits, the coaching company I work, with has been awesome in helping providing motivation and enabling my to make my passion my career. One last one, I'd like to thank the team I am planning on racing for this year, Wattie Ink. They have welcomed me into their community with open arms and have connected me with a lot of awesome people and brands notably Quintana Roo, Enve Composites, and Rudy Project. 


TTB: Thanks for the time Aaron! We'll see you Saturday. Good luck!

Follow Aaron @aaronkolk on Instagram.

Comments